Richard Sugden Library
October 19, 2020
Cheryl A. Donahue, Director
Katie Smith, Children’s Librarian
Mary Anne Slack, Chair
Alyson Russo, Trustee
Lynn Dobson, Trustee
The meeting was called to order at 4:30 PM.
Alyson made a motion to accept the minutes from the September 21, 2020 meeting. Lynn seconded the motion. Vote was unanimous.
Children’s Room Report:
• Due to strict guide lines, Community Connections is limited in its ability to provide services. They have provided kits for our library to give away.
• Continue to use Constant Contact to provide weekly story hour programming.
• There were no sign-ups for Amy’s virtual book club but she will continue to offer the book club for 3 months. If there is still no interest she will reassess the book club.
• The Halloween mask making kits are almost gone.
• Using the library’s website, children are able to assemble 3 virtual puzzles.
• Katie is still waiting to hear from the Cultural Council regarding rescheduling last year’s performers for this summer.
• Katie has applied for the upcoming 2021 Summer Reading Program.
• Katie has attended meetings to discuss the library’s boilers, gutters and HVAC and also attended staff meetings.
• Programming for the library continues through Facebook, Constant Contact and remotely.
• Cheryl, Katie, and Mary Anne met with Tom Gregory, Town Manager and Utilities and Facilities to discuss issues in the library.
• They were informed there is no money to fix anything. Payment by town to Performance Plumbing was unacceptable and Town manager will speak to town council re: making a claim against installer and the designers.
• Insurance adjuster inspected both boilers. Boiler 1 is not working, boiler 2 was fixed by adjuster.
• It was recommended that the library have a needs study done.
• The Automatic door opener installation is scheduled to be done by reopening date.
• Staff meetings were held on 10/2 and10/19 to discuss reopening to the public.
• Discussion for a limited re-opening of the library to be determined when new data from town is provided to Cheryl and Trustees. Tentative date for re-opening of library is Nov. 16, 2020 depending on the data.
• Lynn made a motion to put some of the money from the sale of the Sugden Block into a CD account depending on what is available for CDs at this time. Alyson 2nd the motion. Vote was unanimous.
Meeting was adjourned at 5:34 PM
Next meeting is scheduled for Monday, November 16, 2020 at 4:30 PM.